Friday 23 May 2008

European Champions 2008


What a night and nearly what a nightmare. Ronaldo scores and then misses a penalty. Great game and edge of the seat drama all the way but finally Manchester Utd were crowned champions of Europe. Man Utd 1-Chelsea 1 (6-5 on penalties). I have to confess that I thought Utd had blown their chance with two misses in the first half and Chelsea coming back strongly in the second and the game heading towards extra time. During the penalties I couldn't face watching John Terry taking his kick which would have given Chelsea the cup and went outside. On returning I heard the commentator saying Terry's penalty was just like Beckham's and knew he had missed! And then that wonderful moment with Ryan Giggs, breaking Bobby Charlton's appearance record for Utd, putting away the perfect spot kick before Anelka's shot was saved by Edwin van der Sar. In the end I felt mixed emotions; delighted Utd won but sad for my two brothers who both support Chelski and went to Moscow.

What a story; 50 years after the Munch air crash which wiped out a golden generation of Utd players and 40 years since winning the European Cup for the first time (the first match I remember seeing as a child). Fitting that a survivor of the Munich disaster Sir Bobby Charlton should lead the team to receive the cup. Thanks to Graham Tomlin for his text as extra time came to an end and my confidence was shaking - 'Come on - believe!' I return the advice for the championship playoff final on Saturday when Graham's beloved Bristol City play Hull at Wembley.

Champions, champions..............

1 comment:

david santos said...

Excellent... my friend, excellent...