Saturday 31 May 2008

from pitch to punditry to pulpit - Gavin Peacock

Excellent interview with former Chelsea midfielder and football pundit Gavin Peacock in The Times. Gavin talks to Tony Cascarino about his imminent move to Calgary in Canada where he will study for a Masters in Divinity in preparation for ordination. I knew of Peacock's faith from the book that he co-wrote with Alan Comfort (Middlesborough & Leyton Orient player and now a vicar in the Chelmsford Diocese) Never Walk Alone. In the interview Peacock talks about his faith, being a Christian and a professional footballer, his emerging sense of calling to ordination and the future.
''Over my football career and life as a Christian, I've always spoken at different things - youth events, dinners, in churches. Over the last eight months, I've actually been preaching in churches. When I do that, I'm happy, it feels right. I enjoy it but, at the same time, I have to do it. I feel compelled to do it. It's twofold. I not only enjoy it and it makes me feel good and it completes me, it's that I have to do it. It's a conviction I have. It's different from doing something just because you enjoy it.''

I've always respected Peacock's footballing insights and will miss his contributions to Football Focus and Match Of The Day 2; though since the BBC have lost the Premiership coverage for next season there wouldn't have been much for him to do. Another interesting interview with Peacock was published by The Church Times in November 2007. Please pray for Gavin and his family as they move to Canada and as he embarks on his ordination training.

No comments: