Monday 29 June 2009

ordination celebrations

From left: David Lowman (Archdeacon of Southend), Michele Marshall, Marion Walford, Sue Iskander, Bishop Laurie (Bishop of Bradwell), Carol Ball, Dave Chesney and Steve Spencer.

Great celebrations across the Diocese of Chelmsford yesterday with the Ordination of Priests. I had the privilege of attending the service for the Bradwell episcopal area at All Saints, Writtle. The service meant a great deal to me for several reasons; I had previously tained two of the priests as Readers and was involved in the ordination training of all six. Dave Chesney came to faith through an Alpha course during my time as Team Rector in Becontree West and one of the highlights of my ministry there was baptising Dave and his daughter together. Dave and his wife Sarah are godparents to my son and Dave is now serving as curate at Holy Trinity, Springfield in Chelmsford where my father was vicar during the 1970s. Talk about a small world. It was a long but very enjoyable day, rounded off with Dave celebrating his first Holy Communion in the evening. My only regret is that I was unable to attend the ordinations taking place in East London where another of my friends from my time in Becontree West, Ken Ashton, was being ordained priest.

Dave Chesney, Tim Ball (vicar of Holy Trinity, Springfield) and me.

No comments: