Monday 30 June 2008

ordination (2) - deacons

(deacons at the morning ordination service Sunday 29th July 2008)

Enjoyed two ordination of deacons services at Chelmsford Cathedral yesterday, although with both services lasting well over two hours I was beginning to flag by the end! In the morning Dave Chesney was ordained and in the afternoon Ken Ashton; two good friends from my time as Team Rector of Becontree West.

One of the highlights of my ministry in Becontree was baptising Dave with his young daughter Lauren and then Dave and his wife Sarah became godparents to our son Daniel. Dave will be serving as curate at Holy Trinity Springfield where my father served as vicar in the 1970’s and where I spent my teenage years. Ken was a black cab driver whose wife Eve worshipped at St Thomas’ Becontree and like Dave he came to faith through The Alpha Course. Our Alpha course was led by Ernie Guest, who was at that stage church warden of St. Thomas and is now vicar of St Laurence Barkingside. Ken will be serving as curate in the Walthamstow Team Ministry.

Among the others ordained were several Readers who I had the privilege of training and other students from The North Thames Ministerial Training Course where I am a member of staff. It was good to catch up with friends and colleagues from across the diocese and very encouraging to see so many gifted and committed people embarking on ordained ministry.

(Revds. Dave Chesney, Phil Ritchie, Ernie Guest & Ken Ashton)

1 comment:

Rev Ches said...

Thanks Phil. It was a great day and made all the more special in that I was able to spend time with some great people, including the Ritchie family. Moving to Chelmsford will mean we will be able to spend more time together. Looking forward to the new challenge.