Sunday 19 October 2014

Crime of the Century

The anniversaries are coming thick and fast at the moment. This year is the 40th anniversary of the release of Supertramp's Crime of the Century and there is a reissue of the album in December to celebrate. I still remember the first time I heard the opening wail of the mouthorgan on School, the child's playground scream as the full band kick in and from that moment I was hooked.
It is one of those albums I used to listen to late at night in bed with headphones on, drifting in and out of sleep. There isn't a duff track on the album and it's no surprise all but two songs made it onto the Very Best Of Supertramp compilation. I was delighted to reacquire a vinyl copy last year.

The video I'd originally put up for this is no longer available so here's a link to another version of School.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I remember this album - I agree not a duff track on it.

Doug said...

My first reaction was that it couldn't be 40 years, but you're right, right, you're bloody well right

Unknown said...

Really! Doesn't feel like 40 years at all - the album is timeless. And being able to hear Roger Hodgson, the band's co-founder and songwriter on tour performing is like being thrown back in time, he sounds exact if not better now than the album version. Awesome kicking band too. Phil, Paul, Doug, others - definitely see Roger live on current tour, its an amazing show. (Not sure where you're located but the tourdates can be found on Roger's site http://www.RogerHodgson.com or his facebook page http://www.facebook.com/RogerHodgson). I've heard he's going to be touring in 2015 too. Maybe you've seen him already? Hope you can see a show!