Tuesday 31 March 2009

sign of the times (1)

I sometimes find myself at Poplar DLR station waiting for a connection and gazing over at Canary Wharf. This sign caught my eye yesterday and it seemed to sum up so much about where we are with the economy. A lender reposession auction being advertised right in front of the macho symbols of the very banking system which is causing so much chaos for countries, businesses, communities and individuals. I wonder if any of our world leaders will see it while travelling to their G20 summit at the ExCel centre?

The building to the left of HSBC (below) is the newly constructed KPMG offices. I read the other day that many of these building have plummeted in value wiping millions off the companies' asset sheets. Reminded me of Jesus' saying:
For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down to estimate the cost, to see whether he has enough to complete it? Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to ridicule him...' Luke 14:28f

Well boys (and these 'masters of the universe' all seem to be boys) no one is laughing now.

No comments: