Tuesday 6 April 2010

Easter hope – Mark Ashton

I’ve read and heard a lot about our Easter hope over the last few days but nothing has come close to the words in this video. Mark Ashton, who was vicar of St Andrew the Great in Cambridge, died early on Holy Saturday after a long illness. I had the privilege of serving with Mark on the leadership team of a CYFA venture back in 1986. Mark’s enthusiasm for the Gospel and for youth work was infectious and he was an inspiration to be around. That was nearly twenty five years ago and yet I can still recall clearly some of the insights and wisdom he shared and lived out on that fortnight. Along with many others, I give thanks to God for Mark’s life, faith and ministry and remember Fiona and the family in my prayers.


Mark’s book Christian Youth Work is a distillation of his theology, experience and practice of youth ministry and is well worth a look.

‘For me to live is Christ, to die is gain.’ Philippians 1:21

1 comment:

AliceE said...

Phil, thanks for this. Mark's book was a huge influence on me in my early youth work days and although I never met him, he always went by reputation. A huge loss but an amazing legacy. Happy Easter to you