Saturday 14 June 2014

Still conflicted #worldcup2014

This is probably the most conflicted I've felt about a football World Cup. I always look forward to seeing some of the best players in the world on the biggest stage. I say some because Ryan Giggs and George Best, to name but two, never graced the World Cup finals. However, this time more than ever, I am aware of the contrast between the staging of the tournament in Brazil and the terrible conditions endured by so many of that country's citizens. Alongside this is the ongoing saga of the FIFA shenanigans around awarding Qatar the 2022 finals and Sepp Blatter's continued mismanagement as president. I posted about the problems facing Brazilians a few months ago and nothing much has changed. For me the issues are incisively summed up in this sketch of the World Cup trophy by French illustrator Pez.


No comments: